Thursday, March 3, 2011

As I sit here in the airport waiting for my flight home I have witnessed a gut-wrenching event. I just watched a family drama unfold that could be a PBS after-school special. This family of five, (mom,dad,13yr old son,10yr old son,7yr old son approximate guess, of course)waiting in line @ Burger King. The 13yo was picking at the 10yo and flicks him in the head. The dad turns to the 13yo and punches him in the back of the shoulder all the while hurling verbal insults at the 13yo. The boy turns and walks away from this scene. The father yells, repeatedly...not using his "inside voice" for Thomas to "get back here". Thomas continues to walk. The mom pursues Thomas, only to continue the tongue lashings. The boy has a seat in a waiting area, the mother stands in front of him yelling. Thomas hangs his head and I see tears roll down his cheeks. He pulls his baseball cap down to hide his emotion as he tries to be a man in a 13yr old body. The mother says, "Thomas, quite making a scene"!!! WHAT!!!!??? Seriously, lady?? WHO is making the scene?? It was all I could do to hold it together and watch that boy wipe away the tears from his face.
If I could say just a few things to this mom, I would say:
"Why would you allow such behavior out of your spouse? Is it ok with you that your husband PUNCHED your son?
Lady, do you realize that boy will, hopefully, go away to college in the next few years. This time in his life is so very precious and it passes all too quickly!
Why would you not find complete and utter joy in the fact that you have all three of your children by your side to travel on this trip with you? I don't care how many times he flicked his brothers on the head!"
I can't save the world nor do I pretend to try. But, my "job" as a mother is something I will treasure forever. It's a job I can't imagine being complete without. I, now more than ever, treasure every phone call and visit home from both of my babies. You never stop being a mama!
Thank you, Lord for my two blessings!

2 comments:

  1. How sad ~ for the whole family but that little guy and all his emotions. I've seen this type of behavior and it just makes me cringe. If this goes on in public, what takes place in their home where no one can see?

    Jo

    ReplyDelete