Sunday, March 6, 2011

Commitment!!

"Now in those days it was the custom in Israel for anyone transferring a right of purchase to remove his sandal and hand it to the other party.  This publicly validated the transaction.  So the other family redeemer drew off his sandal as he said to Boaz, 'You buy the land.'"  Ruth 4:7-8
According to law if the relative bought the property he had to marry the widow...


Our Pastor is winding up a series in Ruth.  This book is an amazing representation of:

  • How doing the right thing is always blessed by God.  
  • God is working, even when we don't see Him
  • God uses the ordinary to accomplish the extraordinary  (all quotes from our message today, not my own wisdom ;)  tbcdecatur.org
One of the main characters in the book of Ruth is Boaz, a farmer.  A true hero in my eyes although, I don't feel like he is aware of his heroism.  He just simply does the right thing at the right time demonstrating kindness and generosity that goes above and beyond expectations.  God used Boaz to carry out His plan to provide for Ruth, a widow.  He ultimately marries Ruth, has a son that continues the lineage of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  This not only is a true love story between Ruth and Boaz, but also a perfect picture of how we come to Christ.  First of all having "no hope", then "risking it all" and finally God saves, forgives and rebuilds.
Ruth is a short, 4 chapter book.  I recommend reading "the rest of the story".  I cannot do it justice by my pathetic ramblings.

I have a few women in my life that I am praying for their very own "Boaz".  A "hero" of sorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment