Thursday, June 9, 2011

No One Quite Like Him...

A tribute....
At a very young age I came to love, adore and respect a man I affectionately called my "Pamps".  I was the first grandchild born in my family to very young grandparents.  Let me just say... at 40 and 41... THAT now seems too young to be grandparents!!  My grandparents are hard-working, blue-collar salt-of-the-earth type people.  They taught me so much, and still are...they are givers!!

Pamps taught me to ride a bike, roller skate, how to ride a pony, how to play in the snow and would pull me on the tube while he drove the boat.  He taught me about the farm, let me ride the tractor and always let me have and ice cream at the local cafe while he was having his coffee.  It was very important to him that I respect my Mom. His mother passed away when he was only four so he wanted to make sure I was very honoring to my mom.  He had no trouble disciplining me when he felt I shouldn't be speaking to her in the manner I sometimes (rarely.. ;) tended to do.  You see, we lived next door to my Memom and Pamps until I was in third grade.  I'm sure that gave him a birds-eye-view of my behavior at any given moment.

Since I have become an adult, marrying and having a family of my own, I continue to remain close with my Memom and Pamps.  They have traveled on trips to the Caribbean and Florida with me and my family.  It amazes me to see them so active... and still working full-time at the age of 82 and 83!!!  The memories of our travels together will not be forgotten.  The look on my grandpa's face when he realized that in Mexico sometimes women do not always wear tops when they are on the beach...... PRICELESS!!!!  ;)

This past weekend my grandpa went into the hospital a very sick man.  Our family gathered around to talk with doctors and pray for his recovery.  I had the opportunity on Sunday to visit the hospital.  I was able to sit on his bed, hold his hand and visit with him.  I had an hour with Pamps all to myself.  I can't EVEN tell you what a gift that was to me.  We spoke about the choice of college my son had made and if he would ever be a catcher for the Cardinals.  We talked about my latest trip to Cancun and where, geographically, that was located.  He shared with me about a wedding that was being hosted at their church and ALL the details about the wedding decor.  (He knew EVERY detail)  A man that talks decorating!!!  THAT'S speakin' my "love language"!!  :)
During our visit he said he felt great!!!  He had just come back from a CT scan and the family anticipated him to still be very ill.  I feel like God gave me the greatest gift in this hour I was able to spend with him.  To have this uninterrupted afternoon visit was priceless and a true gift from God!!
Well, rest easy readers,
My Pamps was diagnosed with a very treatable, non-life threatening ailment and said he "feels like jumping rope".  The doctors orders were, "I don't want you sitting around... go wear out your body!!"
Hallelujah, Praise God!!  My Pamps is back and the local coffee shop has missed him.
I am hosting a baby shower for my little sister this weekend and he "can't wait" to attend!!!
I LOVE that man that has been a Daddy to me for the last 13 years!!!
Thank YOU, Pamps for impacting my life!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am SO GLAD your Grandpa is doing better! I know that is an answer to prayer!

    ReplyDelete