Sunday, April 10, 2011

Motherhood is not for wussies!!!

Sometimes, does your heart just weigh heavy because of a decision you or your family member is contemplating?  The "baby boy" will be making a decision soon on the college he will be attending to continue his pursuit of a bachelors degree.  He has been attending a jr. college for the last two years.  (At least that's HIS story... we think he attends)  This college is about an hour away from home.  He also plays on the college baseball team.  
He's the catcher!
When I'm feeling an overwhelming need to pray for my children and am at a loss of how to pray, I pick up this book.
Here is just an excerpt of a prayer on page 55 of this book.  (In no way do I claim this to be my own writing)
"Lord, I pray that he will love Your Word and will feed his soul with it every day.  Speak to his heart and breathe life into every word so that it comes alive to him.  Teach him Your ways and Your laws and enable him to do the right thing.  I pray a silencing of the enemy's voice so that he will hear Your Holy Spirit speaking to his heart.  Give him a desire to live Your way.  You have said in Your Word that when someone turns his ear away from hearing the law that even his prayer is an abomination (Prov. 28:9.  I pray that he will never turn a deaf ear to Your laws.  ......I pray that he will exalt You, love You enough to put You first, and serve You....I pray that he will align his will with Yours."

I have prayed this prayer several times this week for BOTH of my babies.  These words said what I was feeling even better than I could communicate.  
"Only God can give you the wisdom you need about these things.  And He will give it to you when you ask for it.  But first you have to understand and believe that when you pray about your adult child, God will hear and answer.  Prayer is not telling God what to do.  Prayer is partnership with God to see that His will is done.  You don't have to fully understand what God's will is in order to pray that His will be done. ... You can't change anything, God can change everything."

I can't even express the many emotions that come with children leaving the nest.  Even more so when they have to make "big-girl, big-boy" decisions.  This is such an exciting time in their lives.  You can't help but feel oh, so proud of them but, at the same time fighting back tears.
Pardon me while I dry off my laptop.
You NEVER stop being a mother!
I bet that feels more like a "sentence" to a couple of  "adult children" that bear my last name...

3 comments:

  1. D-I can only imagine how hard this is for you right now. I don't quite get it yet bc I'm not a Mom but I appreciate what my Mom had to go through when I left the nest. My prayers are with u and K as he takes this next big step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo did he decide on his next adventure?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, Kase, he has not!! Don't know where he gets this procrastination thing from!!! uggh! hoping for no further than 2 hrs away. ;)

    ReplyDelete